Day 24-Something I miss
First, I miss my 3 grandfathers.
Ralph Sims Sr.-my dads father. Granddaddy. He was a brilliant man who loved the Lord his wife, my grandmother, his children and his grandchildren. He was a game warden and a skilled carpenter. My love for the Atlanta Braves come from him and my grandmother. They watched, and grandmother still watches, every night. I loved him so much and have many wonderful memories with him. I wish that my husband and future children could have met this man.
Basil Jones-my moms step-dad. PaPaw was a quiet man that worked till the day he died. He was in WWII and has an amazing story of how he survived when his ship was sunk. Although he did not talk about his story. He was a wonderful father to my mother and her brother and sisters. PaPaw, me and Courtney (my sister) loved to collect the state quarters. He had a map that had a slot for each one. My Meme still has it for us. I loved him very much and also wish that he could meet my husband and children.
Hambone (Harold Burkes)-This is my Mama's father. He died of a heart attack when my Mama was nine. So of course I never got to meet him. From the stories my Meme and mama have told me he was in a quartet that made actual records and they were good i have listened! Meme sang to...she had really big hair on the album she sang on. HAHA! She was beautiful. He also owned a store in Williamsville. I wish I could have met him as well.
SIDE NOTE:Funny story about the store. My mom and her sister Mary were allowed to get one snack in the afternoons. Usually they would get a coke and chips and share it. Until....they saw Meme's ice cream cone. This ice cream cone lasted forever. Meme and her sneaky self would keep adding ice cream to the top of the cone. It is only one thing right?! Needless to say Meme taught her daughters this trick and this is where my Mama's, and mine, love for ice cream comes form.:)
I don't have pictures with me.
ON a lighter note:
I miss Jones County Junior College
My time at JC was great. At JC i met my husband and my best friends. I wouldn't change it for the world.
MoW

No comments:
Post a Comment